Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Baby Food Recipe with Chicken (6 months+)

Hello lovelies,

My daughter's doctor gave us the go ahead to start solids at four months and we gradually started introducing her to new flavours and textures. She is now just past six months and at her routine visit we asked if we could start to introduce meats into her diet and her doctor approved!


When it comes to eating my girl is a champ. She has loved food from the very first day she tried it. To clear up why we started solids when we did, my daughter was showing all of the signs that she was ready. She started teething (mind you we are still waiting for her first tooth to cut, it is so close I can see the tooth!), she could hold up her own head, she would drool and stare everytime my fiancé and I were eating, she was munching on her tiny little hands like crazy. She also knew how to chew and turn away when she was finished eating and didn't want anymore.


The first time I introduced chicken to my daughter she was not a fan, so I wanted to find a way to get her to eat it without tasting just the chicken, or tasting the chicken at all. Here is the recipe I came up with.

Having not liked the chicken alone, my daughter thankfully loved this combination. She had already tried carrots and sweet potatoes seperatley and adding them together really helped mask the chicken flavour (yes, of course I tried it ;) ).

- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Filtered/ Boiled and cooled Water (measure as needed)



You will also need:
- a Baby Bullet or
- a food processor &
- a blender
- a container to put the pureé in when finished
- a freezer safe container for left over pureé




Cook the chicken breast at 350F for 30min.
While the chicken is cooking peel the carrot and sweet potato and chop both into 1inch cubes.
Boil the chopped sweet potato for 10min.
Boil the chopped carrot for 20min.


Once both vegetables are boiled until soft use your baby bullet with the Blend Blade or your blender to pureé both vegetables. I started by blending the sweet potato first and added approx. 4tbsp of water. Add however much water is needed for your desired consistency.


At this point your chicken should be fully cooked. Check the colour first and and ensure the liquid surrounding the chicken is clear. Using the Milling Blade with your Baby Bullet or your food processor and grind the chicken until it is of your desired texture. I added approx 2tbs of water to the chicken while grinding. 


Once the chicken is of your desired consistency add it to your blender with the sweet potato and carrot pureé and blend. Blend until all three foods are equally combined and you can no longer see the chicken (it should be blended to the same consitency as both vegetables). Once blended you should have an orangey-pink pureé.




When finished depending on the size of the vegetables that you used you should have approx. 40oz of pureé.

The pureé can last for up to three days in the fridge and one month in the freezer. I put 20oz in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

I typically feed my daughter solids 2-3 times a day and this batch should last us all week.
Just remember that when defrosting your frozen batch, not to use high heat. I usually pop out as many servings as I will need for the day from the silicone tray that came with my bullet and let them defrost in the fridge the night before. If you need to you can place them in warm water to help them defrost a bit faster.


Thanks for reading and I hope that this post was helpful to any mommy's looking for new baby food recipes!!!


Until next time....

Mel aka...
Jennine's mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment